If you use insecticides often, you might have come across the raid. Raid helps in eliminating cockroaches, mosquitos, ants, and other household insects. Now let’s take a deep look at the raid, discover whether it is flammable, and other noteworthy facts.
What Is Raid?
Raid is a popular insecticide brand used to eliminate pests. This insecticide is a chemical aerosol that controls cockroaches, fleas, and ants in houses.
Ensure you spray raid in a well-ventilated environment rather than an enclosed space. This is the only way the product can kick off insects successfully. Also, note that the raid must be sprayed with necessary precautions indoors.
Raid is manufactured from hydrocarbons and vital oils like lemongrass extract. However, is the raid indeed flammable? The next section can be an eye-opener.
Is Raid Flammable?
Yes, the raid is flammable, especially when you spray it in large quantities. Raid is made of both flammable and non-flammable ingredients, majorly hydrocarbons.
The flammable ingredients are the actual components of the raid which kill pests. These ingredients are imiprothrin and cypermethrin.
The non-flammable constituents of the raid are also hydrocarbons. Hydrocarbons such as butane, isobutane, propane, isopropanol and many others trigger the explosion of a raid.
However, keep in mind that raid will only activate its flammability mode when exposed to high heat, sparks, an open furnace, or any other source of ignition.
What Is The Flashpoint Of Raid?
The temperature at which a raid is ready to ignite when exposed to a bare flame is known as its flashpoint. The flash point temperature of the raid is about 19.4°F. At any temperature equal to or above its flashpoint, the raid will catch fire.
Raid readily becomes flammable when exposed to high temperatures, open flames, heaters, etc. So it is safe to use the raid at low temperature and outside an ignition source.
Moreso, the propane and butane composition of the raid makes it more flammable. Such that at room temperature, the raid can also ignite when exposed to air for a long time.
What Happens When Raid Mixes With Water?
When raid mixes with water, there’s an alteration in the concentration of its ingredients. Because of this, moist raid reacts chemically at high temperature to give off hydrogen gas.
On exposure to air or oxygen, the hydrogen gas flares up. The combustion is because of the shift in temperature of the raid’s hydrocarbon components. And eventually, a vapour lighter than air is produced.
Can Raid Explode?
The raid will only cause an explosion in rare cases. But it can kindle flammable materials like nylon, paper, cloth, etc, at high temperatures.
Is It Advisable To Spray Raid Near A Naked Fire?
A big no! Although raid is not that toxic like gasoline and most solvents. However, it remains a flammable liquid, which makes it unsafe to spray near a naked flame.
The propane or butane content of the raid enables it to ignite readily when it comes in contact with an open fire. Even an ordinary lighter can make a raid aerosol explode if brought near it.
So always note product descriptions before you spray your home with the raid. Your life matters more than those insects you wanted to kill so badly. Be smart!
Can Raid Be Sprayed On Stoves?
Because of the raid’s flammability nature, it is best to keep it away from all sources of fire, be it stove or lighter. However, if you must spray your stoves with the raid to kill some insects, then use it with caution.
Make sure you spray the stove with a standard household raid product. Also, before you cook on the stove, wipe it with a moist cloth to clear the raid’s content.
Is Raid Harmful To Humans?
Raids are partly toxic to humans. However, pets and infants are usually vulnerable to the fumes from raids.
When babies inhale the raid for a long time, they can sustain severe respiratory tract problems. And along the way, their central nervous system can be affected.
The harmful effects of raids on humans and pets result from the poisonous ingredients in raids. These ingredients include permethrin, pyrethrin and imiprothrin.
Is Raid Toxic To Pups?
Breathing in the raid is harmful to dogs. But if a dog ingests this volatile aerosol, it can suffer from some health conditions.
Below are some signs that show a pup has been poisoned with a raid:
- Pale gums
- Increase in heartbeats rate
- Coughing up blood and many more.
How To Store Raid
Flammable products like raid should be kept in a cool, dry place. You should store raid in an area free from all sources of fire.
Keeping a raid in a kitchen cabinet or near a microwave might sound like a good idea to you. Isn’t it? But don’t even think of it.
What will you do if your 5-year-old kid sprays this chemical aerosol all over the microwave? It’s like inviting a fire to dine with you.
You can even get carried away and spray the insecticide in the kitchen while cooking. Some insects can be annoying, you know.
Whichever way you intend to store your raid, just observe the three tips below, and there you go.
- Store raid in a well-ventilated area. e.g., a plastic bin.
- You can go for a waterproof box if you don’t have a plastic bin.
- Keep the raid away from any fire source.
In this article, you’ve discovered that a raid is a flammable aerosol. Plus, it can be toxic if mishandled or inhaled for a long time.
Perhaps you’ve just got a raid to scare off your insects, fret not. Below are some safety precautions to observe:
- Don’t spray raid on wide surfaces like baseboards, walls and air-infiltrating mechanisms like air-conditioners and window panes.
- Raid can trigger allergies when it comes in contact with the eye. So ensure the spray does not touch your eye. If unfortunately it does, rinse instantly with soapy water.
- Put on the contact lens and rubber gloves to shield yourself from direct contact with the raid.
To learn more about the safety tips to follow while handling insecticides, visit here.